TAL 2/07 “The Use of Bus Lanes by Motorcycles”
1997 TfL Guidance
The Use of Bus Lanes by Motorcycles 
This reversed previous advice in LTN 1/97 against the practice and now recommends that local authorities actively consider allowing motorcycles to use bus lanes.
The leaflet encourages authorities to consider the following points: • The safety implications involved in restricting motorcyclists to general traffic lanes, against the possible problems of allowing motorcyclists into the bus lane;
• The effect on other vulnerable road users, especially pedestrians and cyclists;
• The possible impact on bus journey time reliability due to additional traffic in the bus lane;
• The reduction in congestion for other traffic on routes currently used by motorcyclists;
• The potential for modal shift if motorcycling is seen as a more convenient means of transport;
• The potential for overall improvements in transport efficiency;
• Local publicity to help advise road users of a policy change; and
• Continuity of bus lane routes which admit motorcycles.